Turf Installation Perth – A Quick Guide To Install Your Lawn
The following steps will ensure a successful turf installation
- Make sure you are starting off with a clean level site free of debris, rocks etc.
- Install an efficient reticulation system to give full even coverage of water.
- Apply up to 150mm of a good quality loam
- Lightly compact the area with a water roller
- Apply a pre start fertiliser and a good quality moisture retainer
- Lay turf rolls tightly together
- Water turf within 30mins of install and again go over with water roller.
Your purchase of a Greenacres Turf Group quality product is made even easier with the versatility and ease of installing roll-on turf.
These guidelines are provided as a tool to ensuring your turf installation is completed correctly to achieve the best results.
You will also be provided with detailed laying and watering instructions when you purchase your quality turf product from Greenacres Turf Group.
Laying Your New Turf
OK – you have prepared your site, fertilised it and given it a good watering. Now it’s time to roll out the carpet.
Carry the turf required for the back lawns around to the back. Use planks for wheelbarrows, and smooth out wheel ruts and foot prints.
Lay the rolls out around proposed garden beds and along edges of paths and driveways first. The turf can be ‘sprung’ into the curved shapes often required of garden beds. For the benefit of appearance, you shouldn’t make sharp curves for garden edges, and at this stage, you should have the complete perimeter of your lawn shaped out.
Lay turf rolls parallel with the longest straight runs, making sure that the rolls are firmly butted up against each other so that there are no gaps. Fill in gaps by cutting rolls with a bread or steak knife. Don’t cut very small pieces, as these will dry out and die.
Immediately after planting, tamp the rolls down to form a smooth surface with a plate compactor. You can hire one from your local hire place. For larger areas, you will need to water your lawn as you lay it out to prevent it from drying out.
Care After Your Turf Installation
Keep the turf damp for several weeks following your turf installation, but be careful not to over-water the area. Once the turf sods have become stabilized by developing a root system so that they cannot be lifted, they can be mowed. This can be done with either a rotary mower, or with a reel mower.
Mowing will usually be necessary about 2-3 weeks after planting in summer, and longer in winter.
Apply another application of Lawn Starter fertiliser about 1 month after installation to ensure healthy and even growth.
- If you are removing existing turf use either bobcat or spray with roundup and wait for a period of 14 days for all to die off, then remove.
- Remove any rubble or debris such as stick and rocks
- Purchase a good quality sandy loam from a Landscape provider, to be weed free and of a high quality (sandy loam retains moisture).
- Quantity of Soil required, multiply the total square metres by the depth of soil you would like, for example soil depth is 150mm (0.15 x total square metres + cubic metres required).
- Recommend Gypsum for clay areas, this helps breakdown the clay and improve soil drainage.
- Spread top to a minimum depth of 100mm.
- Eliminate drainage problems, slope away from any housing foundations or pathways.
- Ensure you have a flat even surface, Set your soil about 40mm below Driveways or paths. Turf rolls are between 25-30mm thick.
- Water the prepared area well, to provide a moist base for your turf.
- Apply a good quality moisture retainer for water to penetrate evenly.
- Perform your turf installation immediately upon delivery. Turf generates a lot of heat when rolled on a pallet and requires ground contact & water to survive. Begin laying turf along the longest straight line and push edges and ends against each other tightly, without stretching, avoiding gaps or overlays.
- Stagger the joints and avoid small strips at outer edges, as they will not retain moisture. Once installed, compact again to give a nice level surface generating even growth and even colour removing any unwanted air pockets. Also water turf well with at least 25mm of water and check that the water has seeped through the turf and into the soil below.
All Greenacres Turf is delivered with a comprehensive information pack with a turf installation & maintenance guide.
Greenacres can supply and deliver your preparation products with your turf delivery.
Why Choose Greenacres for Your Roll On Lawn
- Quality Fresh Roll-on Lawn, Guaranteed – Weed Free
- Great value turf with great pricing on top quality lawn varieties
- Lawn will be delivered within 18 hours of harvest to your home
- Best variety & greatest availability as Greenacres is WA’s largest turf farm
- Friendly service with expert advice on installation & lawn care
- Turf Laying and Installation Tips
- 1 Hour FREE Turf Installation Phone Support
- Healthy Lawn Starter Pack
Also view our other Lawn Services items
- Turf Supplies
- Turf Installation Perth
- Grass Perth
- Roll On Grass
- Roll On Lawn Perth
- Roll On Turf
- Lawn Perth
- Turf Farms Perth
- Best Lawn for Perth
- Types of grass perth
*IMPORTANT – All turf MUST be installed on the day of delivery.